Tips for Promoting Blog Posts on Facebook

Join the Biannual Blogathon BashThis was a mini challenge for the Biannual Blogathon Bash (Jan 25-28/13). However anyone is welcome to use this information or even do the challenge at any time.

This challenge is about improving how you promote your blog through Facebook. I offer some tips and information and the challenge will be to implement one of the ideas.

Tips For Promoting Your Blog Posts on Facebook

Looking For Ideas on Promoting Blog Posts on Facebook?

• Create a Fan page so anyone who wants updates from your blog can do so. Many people WILL NOT friend someone on Facebook they do not know in real life including me. If you just have your personal Facebook profile, you will miss out on promoting to those people. There is the newer option of allowing people to subscribe to your personal profile but I still prefer a fan page. Learn More: How to Create a Facebook Fan Page and Social Media:Facebook Pinterest Board (lots there!)

Creating a Facebook Fan Page

• Promote your individual posts. Make sure you are linking directly to the post you are promoting, and not just your main blog url. This is important because I may not see your Facebook post the exact time you post it and if you have made new posts since then, I won’t be seeing your most recent post. On most blogs, you can right click on the post title and “copy link location” or something similar to get the direct link.

copylinklocation

• Learn about Facebook algorithms. Facebook uses algorithms (mathematical equations) to determine how many people see what you post. One of the things that lowers the amount of people who see your post is a post with links. To get around this and still promote your post, you can type a status update explaining what the newest post is about and say that the link is in the comments, then submit. Once the update is live, add a link to your post in the first comment. Since no image will show up without putting your link into the main part, you can upload the feature image from your post to make it show with your message. (every post should have an image.) Learn More: Edge Rank

UPDATE Jan 27 – It has come to my attention that if you put the link in the comments and someone shares your post, the comments and therefore the link does NOT get shared. So perhaps that isn’t the way to go. More might see your post but shares will be nullified. Perhaps the better way is to just make sure not every update you post is a link, add some interactive posts and general updates as well.

linkincomments

• Be descriptive. It’s your description that will draw your potential readers in. “Come see my new recipe” is not descriptive enough. Practice your wording. “New Lasagna Recipe Posted” is still not enough. “Looking for a creamy, cheesy, warm meal to make for your loved ones on a cold winter’s evening? Try my 4-Cheese Homemade Lasagna Recipe, easy to follow and ready to eat in one hour!” = Much Better.
  • Promote Regularly. Make it easy. There are ways of setting it up so when you make a new blog post, it automatically posts to your Facebook fan page. Using these can work against the algorithms mentioned above though and make it less likely that your post is seen. If you do use one of these services, do NOT use Networked Blogs. If you are on WordPress (.com or .org) you can use the Jetpack Plugin or Try Sharepress if you are on WordPress.org. Anyone on any platform can use Twitterfeed (not just for twitter.) If you do not want it to auto post, the other option is to just go to your posts page after it’s published and hit the Facebook share button on your own blog and post it to your fan page. A bonus is this ups the share count and others are more likely to share if they see that someone else has shared too.

The Mini-Challenge

If you don’t have a fan page for your blog:

Create a fan page, add in all info and images, then do below.

If you do have a fan page for your blog:

Promote one of your latest blog posts on your Facebook fan page using the methods mentioned above.

Kathleen Garber-Bailey

Kathleen is a blogaholic and social media enthusiast living in Ontario, Canada. She is a SAHM of five and a Girl Guide leader in addition to her multiple online endeavours.

View more posts from this author

Join Our Community of Over 300

We'd love to have you join our community of bloggers from around the world!

Our Facebook group called Building Better Blogs has daily prompts, SEO and blogging tips, FREE feedback on your blog each week and a Thursday Topic Discussion.

28 thoughts on “Tips for Promoting Blog Posts on Facebook
  1. Brandy

Sharing via the share buttons at the bottom post will be new to me. So simple as well. I forget to schedule things in hs or I don't think it shares with enough. Hopefully sharing via the bottom numbers will help my reach. Thanks!

2. Deb Chitwood

I've been adding my posts manually for awhile now, and I agree that it really helps to upload a photo for the image. For this challenge, I updated a post from last year and shared it again using a Pinterest-ing photo collage. I put the link in the first comment, although I always have mixed feelings about that. When people share the photo, the link doesn't show on their page. Stupid Facebook! Deb @ LivingMontessoriNow.com and RaisingFigureSkaters.com

3. Deb Chitwood

I had so much fun watermarking images and updating posts that I did new Facebook promotions for both Living Montessori Now and Raising Figure Skaters! Thanks for inspiring me to update and re-share some posts!

4. oldermommystill

I don't remember setting anything up by my post do go automatically.to Facebook Networked Blogs. I looked at deleting my account but a little afraid to do so…lol Networked Blogs also said to delete my blog before deleting account since I couldn't go back after. I have JetPack on my WP blog but not really sure what it does??

1. Kathleen Garber

I'm not sure. Did the post I linked to talking about how bad networked blogs is, say anything about how to get off of it? I don't remember. I think they just mean delete your blog from networked blogs, then delete account. Jetpack allows you to use wordpress.com features on your wordpress.org blog. It has lots of features. Click around to see what it does.

5. Jackie

I had a picture to upload, but for some reason it didn't show up. I'm having issues with the fan page – my own status updates don't load right unless I refresh the page first – maybe it got lost in there somewhere. I'll do another one tomorrow and try again. But I did try the other things! (and visited)

6. margaret

I been having trouble with network blogs and want to get off but i was hoping that I would connect wit more ppl, but to tell the truth the few connections that I have I had before I connected to them, no one has said i am connecting from networked blogs/ Guess I can get rid of it

7. newlywedsurvive

Two questions. I have always put the link right in the post so that if someone likes the post the like shows up on my website as a like for that page. Also, if someone likes or shares a post with the link in the comments, wouldn't their friends not see the link?

Otherwise, I have completed the mini-challenge, and found some other great facebook pages to follow!

1. Kathleen Garber

You got me thinking so I tested it. I make a post with link in comments and then shared it to my other page. The link did not show up. Point against doing it that way I guess. I include link in update more than not but mostly for convenience. Although it will be shown to more without the link, looks like it impedes shares. I'll update the post about that. I guess it's better to just make sure you do lots of updates that don't require a link too. I'm not sure about the first question. My blogs don't show how many fb likes each post has.

1. newlywedsurvive

Thanks for testing it…this is something I have wondered since people started adding the link in the comments. I have started adding in a question every once in awhile so that maybe my edgerank (which I didn't know about until now…thank you) will increase and then my links will end up showing up. I am getting some pretty good interaction when I just ask a random question (usually related to weddings or married life).

8. Create With Joy

Thanks Kathleen for all of this info!

I shared Inspire Me Monday and if you visit my FB fan page, you will see the thumbnail issue I mentioned the other day. On the post you will see a photo of heart-shaped cookies. It is there because it was the only photo it pulled (although there are tons of photos in that post!) What it SHOULD have done is given me the option to scroll and choose the one I wanted (which would have been my Inspire Me Monday button).

Do you or anyone know how to correct this photo thumbnail issue?

1. Kathleen Garber

Sorry I just saw this comment. You are on Blogger right? It's harder to fix with Blogger. I'm still looking into the best way to do this. In WordPress it's much easier as you can set a featured image for each post.