Having participated in readathons and other blogging marathons plus ran and participated in the last blogathon has given me some ideas on what one could do to prepare for our blogathon. I’ll be sharing those ideas this week.
Knowing what you want to work on and arranging childcare won’t matter if you are not mentally or physically ready to work.
First a question:
What do you wear when you blog at home?
- Regular “Street” Clothes
- Work Attire
There isn’t necessarily a correct answer to that but keep in mind that you want to be comfortable enough to sit for a long period of time (so those tight jeans or work skirt and heels might be out) but not so comfortable you just want to sleep or play on Facebook all day (so sweatpants and pyjamas are not a good idea.)
Make sure what you want to wear is clean – the clothes that fit right and are just the right amount of comfortable.
What else you might want to do:
- Have a nice relaxing and also invigorating shower
- Get a good night’s sleep the night before.
Preparing Your Area
We already covered cutting down on the clutter and if you haven’t cleaned up a bit, make some time, trust me. Other than that though, there are a few others things you should consider. Below are some suggestions, use what’s right for you.
- Keep a notepad and pen/pencil and other office supplies nearby.
- Keep a water bottle near by to stay hydrated and keep your mind sharp.
- Make sure you have adequate lighting. Borrow a lamp if you don’t.
- If you will be tackling reviews, have the products or books you are reviewing nearby to reference while you write.
- Keep your to do list nearby
- Close whatever windows are not needed on your computer.
- Close your email program or set certain times to check it.
- Commit to only checking facebook for blogging reasons (Biannual Blogathon Bash FB Group or other FB group to exchange comments or ask questions.) Checking FB multiple times is very distracting.
- If you don’t have a twitter account, get one. Trust me you should have one and that way you can join in our twitter talk and twitter parties. Need help?
- Open up your favourite twitter program to keep track of the #blogathon2 talk (TweetChat, Tweet Grid etc.)
- If you work better with music, figure out what you will play and how (MP3, computer, TV, radio etc.) Get it set up.
- Turn off distractions (music if it distracts you, TV, cell phone even.)
- Speaking of distractions, does your computer desk/place face a window? Close the blinds or curtains or face a different way. An open window or door is very distracting.
- Keep checking back on the blog or subscribe to see what’s coming up.